All the best artwork starts with well thought out conceptual drawings and planning. It is important for a range of things, such as logos, print for magazines, business cards and more.
So what does conceptual drawings and planning really consist of? Well, as usual there are a few steps:
- Design brief – What exact artwork is being design, and what general company principals need to be followed? This will involve things like deadlines, goals, target audience, idea behind the business name etc. The purpose of the design brief is to ensure the designer really understand the project, so its good to communicate as much information as possible.
- Research – It is good to do competitor research to get an idea of what styles suit and don’t suit that industry, and also so what you design isn’t too close to your competitors work! If the business is already established, then research needs to comprise of the business’ history too.
- Sketching – Usually drawings, but with a range of software now available it can be done on a computer too! The designer might start with mood boards from other artwork they have seen, or use images that the client has already found. Mood boards are useful because it can sometimes be hard to describe artwork with words.
- Digital versions – The sketches and mood boards will then be converted into digital forms. This allows for quick changes and fine-tuning. Where the artwork will be finally used must also be considered, as this might depend on the format it needs to be designed in. This is also relevant for logo design, which needs to be considered in black and white or monotone.
- Feedback – The client will often only be shown a few of the designers favourite versions, otherwise it can be overwhelming. Then they can offer their thoughts, and it is likely a few more revisions will be done before the final look is decided upon.
The above steps describe conceptual drawings and planning, and taking them through to final designs. If you have some artwork you need creating, get in contact with Monster today, we will work through these stages together to get the results you need.